Background of Paraclesis
Paraclesis: Journeying Together is a fresh approach to local church pastoral care. The Paraclesis initiative has been created as a response to the felt need for more care and support in the Church today.
Scripture shows that it is God’s heart that we should love and come alongside one another just as He comes alongside us.
‘He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us.’ (2 Corinthians 1:4, The Message)
Developed by Trevor J. Partridge, the Paraclesis: Journeying Together six-week series aims to place caring at the heart of the local Church in order to support those in need.
CWR has developed a suite of both online and print resources to help churches access the gift of experience that is hidden within their congregations and enable people to come alongside one another. By embracing the heart of Paraclesis and benefitting from all the accompanying resources, the Church can develop a fresh culture of care.
What are the benefits for your church
- Paraclesis: Journeying Together is a fresh look at pastoral care. It enables ordinary people to take their personal experiences and turn them into a gift of support and care for others around them.
- The structure of the Paraclesis: Journeying Together series unites the whole church. The church learns and grows together in knowledge, strengthening their community and their ability to come alongside one another.
- Pastoral care is a topic that can easily get overlooked in church, and the gift of people’s journeys is often an overlooked resource. Paraclesis: Journeying Together shifts the perspective and focus away from the pastoral care being solely the responsibility of the church leader and involves the whole church in developing the culture of care.
- Paraclesis: Journeying Together is easy to administer in a church; ready-made resources eliminate planning, writing and creating time. As soon as your church has decided that it wants to be a people who care for one another – you are ready to go!
- Paraclesis: Journeying Together enables your church to become a more caring community, reaching out into the neighbourhood at the point of felt need. By connecting through the gift of each individual journey we can reach out to each other and the wider community, significantly impacting a lost and broken world.
Outcomes for your church
Paraclesis: Journeying Together …
Resets – a culture of care and compassion to be a core value of church life.
Enables – people to come alongside and journey well with others in need.
Develops – basic skills that enable people to come alongside other people.
Provides – support through teaching, resources, materials and practical teaching.
About the author
Trevor J. Partridge is not only a co-founder of the Christian charity CWR, but also has a wealth of pastoral experience and a personal connection with Paraclesis as he has developed the initiative over the past 15 years. He holds a degree in Theology and is a pastor, counsellor and author. He has travelled extensively, teaching and preaching at seminars, conferences and churches around the world.
CWR has served Christians and the Church for over 50 years. Bible reading and prayer are both the heart and the foundation that CWR builds all its work on. By applying the Bible to every area of life, CWR encourages personal prayer, the restoration and revival of relationships with God and each other, and influences positive change in the lives of individuals and communities.
CWR achieves this through the provision of Christian literature, resources and daily Bible reading notes, as well as through training and teaching of courses in Biblical Counselling and other important life issues.
Paraclesis: Journeying Together works alongside CWR’s aim of connecting God’s Word with people’s real lives, every day.
To find out more about CWR, you can click here.
How to get started
Sign up to explore how you and your church can care! Request a free Introduction Pack, including samples of the printed resources, free access to the Week 1 online resources and a DVD with videos perfect for introducing Paraclesis: Journeying Together to your church leadership team.
By adopting this local church-based initiative, you can respond to those in your congregation and community who are thinking, ‘Who cares?’ with the answer, ‘We care!’